Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Should i use synethetic motor oil or castrol gtx high-mileage motor oil in my SHO with 270,000km?

I would, I plan on using synthetic in my Taurus after i hit 100,000.Should i use synethetic motor oil or castrol gtx high-mileage motor oil in my SHO with 270,000km?
USE THE HIGH MILEAGE OIL. SYNTHETIC OIL IS GREAT BUT AN OLDER ENGINE NEEDS AN OIL THAT HAS MORE CLEANERS AND PROTECTANTS FOR THE INTERNAL SEALS OF THE ENGINE. I WOULD RECOMMEND MAXLIFE MYSELF WHICH IS A VALVOLINE PRODUCT.Should i use synethetic motor oil or castrol gtx high-mileage motor oil in my SHO with 270,000km?
I agree with the majority of the answers given but for a different reason. So here's my opinion. If you have always ran your SHO on synthetic, then there's no reason you couldn't continue to run it. If you have ran regular motor oil, then there is a good chance that if you tried to use synethetic, you would find a lot of leaks and possibly burn more oil. So you'd be better off using the castrol oil in this situation.
Good question. I have heard putting synthetic oil in an old engine will cause them to leak easier. If the engine is in good shape, I would try the synthetic and stick with it. If troubles started and the seals started leaking then you can have an oil change and go with the hi-mileage oil. Good luck
Synthetic (man Made) oils are superior to petroleum products.


If you can afford the synthetic, use it. Another idea you may want to think about is... Slick 50. Oil additives ';can'; have a dramatic impact on engines. Any additive with P.T.F. or Teflon can help slow down engine wear AND increase performance. Teflon actually gets into the metal and this allows the oil to work more effectively.
I am not sure...we did just get some castrol GTX for gasoline engines, superior motor oil sae 10w30 for our 1994Camry..which can possibly get sludgy;..he might be using it in the 1993 Taurus also...[V6]which tries to get hot.


why dont you research it online? there is more car info than shoes or fabric info...
My Father-in-Law works for a company called BG Products, and I am constantly asking him about what different oild should be used in different enigns and pieces of info that I may find useful. BG makes what can be considered some of the best oil on the market, but it comes with a matching price tag. Anyway, back to the point, he has told me that in older engines, it is not suggested to use fully synthetic oil, because the full synthetic oils will cause alot of leaks. If you want to take good care of your older engine, find a high mileage semi-synthetic oil to use. This will still offer all the addatives and conditioners you need to keep your older engine running smooth, as well as the advantages of a synthetic oil.





As far as brand is concerened, I cant really say, I dont know specifics on each brand, but I do hear the Castrol GTX and the Penzoil high mileage are both good. I use the Penzoil High Mileage in my wifes car, and Rotella T HD 15W-40 in my Suburban. I hope this helps, good luck.
I have had great luck with plain old castrol for over 20 yrs,stick with that don't get sucked into the synthetics.





DRIVE HARD BABY!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment