Saturday, December 26, 2009

I have a 1995 Mercedes-Benz SL320; I just wanted to know what weight of motor oil should I use in the car.?

For '95, Benz calls for regular dino-oil but you can use synthetic if you wish. In my area, the dealers use 15W40 in the summer time and 10W30 in the winter time ( I live in Canada so our winters require a lighter oil ).I have a 1995 Mercedes-Benz SL320; I just wanted to know what weight of motor oil should I use in the car.?
Use 15W40 oil, and be sure you are not using an oil that is blended for diesel engines. There is a different blend of oil additives for gasoline engines, and 15W40 is a very common grade for diesels. On the back of the bottle you'll find API grades on a small circle. Diesel grades begin with the letter ';C'; like CF, CH, etc. Gasoline grades begin with an ';S'; like SC, SF, etc,,,,,so be sure to read the labels!





Also, do NOT use a lighter grade in the winter! Older BMW engines will be okay with different grades in each season, but Mercedes engines need to have 40 weight oil in them when they reach operating temperature. No exceptions.


If you're in a climate where you will be starting the engine in sub-zero temperatures every day you could swith to 10W40, then switch back to 15W40 when the weather warms up. But NEVER use an oil that is less than 40 weight when the engine reaches operating temperature.I have a 1995 Mercedes-Benz SL320; I just wanted to know what weight of motor oil should I use in the car.?
if you have the owners manual, consult it , or call a mercedes dealer or other reputable mechanic. Being it is probably a deisel engine , I would myself use Rotella brand oil , it has proven its merit in millions of miles in over the road trucks and also in construction machinery.

No comments:

Post a Comment