Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What will happen if I use 15W-40W oil in gas motor?

I put in some diesel 15x40 oil in my gas motor on accident. It was in a bulk tank marked motor oil at work. I put in a gallon a little at a time when my truck was on add I used that oil. Is there chance it will cause the seals in the engine to leakWhat will happen if I use 15W-40W oil in gas motor?
I doubt it. It should be fine. Next time oil change is due then put the correct oil back in. I personaly would not worry about it.What will happen if I use 15W-40W oil in gas motor?
15/40 diesel oil just has some additional additives in it for wear etc. it is an excellent oil. if you usually use 10/30 you will be just fine. the 15/30 is more viscous when cold so it may be harder to start in the extreme cold weather
doubtful but i would change it to your normal oil vecosity
If you put it in the lubrication area (not with the gasoline) it will be fine. I used roughly that stuff in my car for years.
it might not cause the seals to leak, but for the cost of an oil change, why chance it.?
In short, no problem. The seals are made to keep the oil in regardless of the viscosity of the oil.
As with previous answers, there shold be no problem, but when you have to add/change oil, use the oil recommended by your user manual. 15W40 is an indication of the oil's viscosity.


Check out the links for more info.
nothing
Shouldn't be too much of an issue, but if you're worried, just change the oil right away and put in the correct oil...however, if you're in an colder environment, it is probably a good idea to use an oil with a thicker viscosity during the winter.
You will have no problems! Since it is heavier oil, it will be less likely to burn off and leak through worn seals in your motor; so you may not have to replace as often. Besides, as a motor gets older, the tolerances inside become larger, and a heavier oil could be used.





I run Rotella 15-40 in my truck (1/2 ton GMC gas), have been running it for about 75k miles on it (truck has 186k now). I've got seepage issues, no blue smoke as a sign I'm burning oil, but I lose a little bit between changes. The heavier oil helps with the loss.





RUN THE THICK STUFF!!!
dont worry it will be fine...most oils are close in type,,some can b used 4 both...ie shell rotella...
Just spend a couple of dollars and change the oil !
Dear Sir it will not hurt your motor. As long it oil and the same weight it will not hurt
You put in a gallon? What the hell kind of truck do you have? It must have a large oil capacity or you were almost dry.


That oil shouldn't cause any problems, if you had to add that much you got a problem already. You're either leaking it or burning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment