Thursday, January 7, 2010

What motor oil is better? Castrol or Pennzoil?

I chose castrol 5 years ago and still with it. When I was looking for which kind of oil i made up a test of my own. I got some some glass vials and put a sample in each. I did this with castrol, kendall, quakerstate and pennzoil. I heated them up to a boil for 1 minutes each and let them cool. I did this over the next few days about 10 times on each. I dont know if this is a very acurate test but the results made me choose castrol. The kendall oil went from green to damn near milk looking and stayed that way. The QS had the worse smell of rotten eggs I had ever smelt in my life, The pennz darkend alot. And the castrol barely changed in color. So take that how ya will.What motor oil is better? Castrol or Pennzoil?
Pennzoil (Shell US's flagship line) is without a doubt a better product than Castrol (BP), and has been for the last 10 years at least. Pennzoil Yellow Bottle uses a Group II+ base versus Castrol's Group II. Pennzoil Platinum meets two major specs that Castol Syntec doesn't - GM4718M %26amp; Acura HTO-0 Report Abuse
What motor oil is better? Castrol or Pennzoil?
As someone Else said.they are all SAE rated, and that's what really counts. Now it comes down to which company has done the best job of advertising.........Probably Castrol does a better advertising job than Pennzoil. Having used both oils over a period of 40 years, weight for weight, I found both more than acceptable. The real key is changing them every 3000 miles, regardless of what the manufacture may tell you about 6000 mile oil changes, and using a good quality oil filter.
1 the SAE rating defines the quality of an oil eg SJ or SM. SM is currently the highest standard. It costs money to have your oils rated


PEnzoil has not paid and so their oils are not rated.You have to trust them.





2 MOST important clean oils are NOT BLACK. Clean oils are honey coloured. The blackness comes from carbon in the oil. Carbon absorbs


chemicals and sucks the ';life'; out of rubber seals in your engine.





Castrol GTX oils are black when new, they are pre carboned and are bad for your engine. After the warranty runs out you will have big repair bills. Also if the apprentice is busy he can just change the filter and top up the oil and you will never know since the ';new'; oil is black anyway.





3. Oil degrades quickly synthetics begin to degrade after 2 weeks and


non synthetics begin to degrade after 1 week. Changing the oil at 3 months or 3000 miles is a good preventative step.





4 Read the owners manual carefully they will say lots of trips which are


long / or short / or hot or cold need oil changes more frequent than the


advertized service interval





I have friend who is a mechanic he shared this with me and has a camry with the original engine and 320,000 Km on a mitsubishi van
Its a lot of personal preference. Depends on the kind of motor your running too. I may be talking out of my ***, but when I drove honda's and toyotas Used Castrol GTX only 10w 30. I currently own a 92 mitsubishi galant vr4 which is turbo and I run nothing but mobile 1 synthetic. Once you use synthetic though I wouldn't recommend returning to a normal oil.
I am a big fan of Castrol motor oils and I definitely think it is a superior brand to Penzoil. One of their claims for GTX is that it prevents sludge better than any of the other brands 鈥?I totally believe it. Another benefit is they have a rewards program where you can win stuff anytime you buy oil 鈥? www.castrolcredits.com. I always like to get something back for my purchase.
All oil is rated by the Society of Automotive Engineers. That is where the SAE comes from, They all have to meet the same standards. You might as well as ask what 100 watt light bulb is brigther, G.E bulbs or a Sylvania?
i don,t really car what others say, i used pennzoil for several years and i never had trouble with any engine. right now if you pull my valve pans off it,s as clean as it can be. pennzoil is my choice.
Depends on your vehicle according to my dad. He had me using Pennzoil 10W40 in my Buick LeSabre. But I now have a Chevy Blazer and he has me use a 10W30 weight.
Castrol by far. Penzoil has parifin in it which causes more engine ';gunk';. (Parafin is a wax like substance)
I use full synthetic Mobil. Better than both. Saved my engine once when I has a cam shaft seal blow out and lost all the oil.
castrol is so says consumer reports i use valvoliene 30 w myself
Castrol.
Castrol.
Castrol GTX
Castrol GTX
Pennzoil
Pennzoil...wwwaayy betta.
Wesson.
Castrol is wayyy better

No comments:

Post a Comment