Thursday, January 7, 2010

I have water in my oil in my murray lawn mower. Does this mean my motor is shot? It was left out in the rain.?

I've changed the oil ,filter and have just replaced the carb. The model number is 287707. It would'nt crank after the carb was replaced and for a couple of days the oil was clear but today it's milky.I have water in my oil in my murray lawn mower. Does this mean my motor is shot? It was left out in the rain.?
The water undoubtedly got into the crankcase from the rain. However, it will simply sink to the bottom of the sump and won't turn the oil milky until it is mixed with the oil by the crankshaft. Even if you changed oil after it being in the rain, you may not have got all the water out. The no cranking problem probably is a result of the carburetor change, not the water. A bit of water will not ruin your motor.I have water in my oil in my murray lawn mower. Does this mean my motor is shot? It was left out in the rain.?
The milky color oil could be caused from gas seeping past the rings on the pistons. You defiantly shouldn't try to run the motor like that. Perhaps drain the oil one more time and new filter then purchase a cheap tarp to cover at least the motor to eliminate the possibility of moisture getting in through the oil fill tube.
sounds like water got to your oil . it had to be an outside source since this is an air cooled engine drain oil, and replace filter if it has one . keep it in the dry or cover it up in wet weather . p.s. be sure not to overfill oil .

No comments:

Post a Comment